Monday, November 5, 2012

The domino effect of voting

Whether it be my casual banters with colleagues at the office or hearing college students voice their outlook on voting at forums, I’m dismayed by the lack of faith citizens have in their individual vote. Rather than bore you with “do you know how many courageous people fought and died for this right” rant, I would prefer to share my first ballot experience if you're still on the fence of voting.
So if I may, please watch your step as you enter into the time machine (seat-belts please...)
Back in 2008 as a freshman at La Salle University, I was young, spontaneous and gallant. But who wasn’t? It was college, and I thought I knew it all like most of my peers. A majority of my actions weren't thoroughly thought out. I was also unaware that once I began college, I would be judged as an adult, but I eventually adjusted and my life spiraled out quite fruitful through these learning experiences. 
Nevertheless, that's just the backdrop of the story, here's the anecdote.

During the spring semester of my freshman year, I was blessed with the opportunity to attend the University Presidential Inaugural Conference (UPIC). In hindsight, I’m still flabbergasted that I was fortunate enough to report at this historic convention. From participating in question and answers with keynote figures such as General Colin L. Powell and former Vice President Al Gore to networking with an influx of prodigious college students, I'm humbled that I was involved in a once-in-a-lifetime experience so early in my life.
When I learned I was accepted to the program, I was convinced that I was attending regardless who the next president was going to be let alone who would win the Democratic election. If elected, Barack Obama would be the first black President, Hilary Clinton would be the first woman or Sen. John McCain would have been the oldest. The simple idea of this is special in itself. It was a chance to witness history, and those opportunities are rare. 
To be surrounded by a surplus of first time voters was exhilarating. It was like we were in our own exclusive fraternity, but there was no bias among membership. We all presumed that our vote could change the state of the economy, and believed that if we didn’t vote, everyone else wouldn’t. It was an involuntary onus that shadowed over every young/first-time voter around election time. It was duty that I felt must be completed. 
Call me crazy, but I conjectured that my vote was the architect behind an increase of over 3 million voters under the age of 30 compared to 2000. Yes, I understand I didn't physically lead all these individuals to the polls like Moses, but to be part of that movement was priceless.   
I never undermined my vote, and you shouldn't either.
I vividly remember my peers and I marching dauntlessly up middle Broad Street after receiving the news of that Barack Hussein Obama was sworn in as the 44th president.
That night can never be duplicated because it was my first. I saw the happiness that resonated in each of my friend’s eyes. It was the joy of being able to be significant, and making a change.
For some odd reason, this sense of bliss dies as we get older. But as I enter my second election that I can vote, the same feelings from '08 rise.
Being part of something great is what voting means to me.
I also recall how cold it was in Washington, D.C. when President Obama was sworn in. My frosty trek during the UPIC came up a bit short because of frostbite, but what a memory I have under my belt (still wish my toes didn't give up on me). To see so many people camp out and walk millions of miles just to be part of history.
Life comes down to a few moments and this is one of them. See you at polls!

No comments:

Post a Comment