Thursday, December 6, 2012

Jordan not the only "great" Kobe trails

Before the bantering begins of Kobe Bryant being just as good or even better than Michael Jordan, let's first examine if Bryant is the best to suit up in purple and gold.
Outside of Boston, the NBA's most historic franchise is Los Angeles. From Jerry West to Wilt Chamberlain, many have excelled in a Lakers uniform. It's really mind-boggling to think of all the A1-players that have come through LA. There aren't too many teams that have can have a fantasy draft within their own organization. With that being said, I like to understand and respect my history before I give any player the label of the greatest.
Yes, Mr. Bryant deserves credit for his litany of accolades, but even with them, he still hunts a greater Laker. Enter in the Magician himself, Earvin Johnson.
My reasoning behind Magic is simple. I use the LeBron James comparison. The Association has never seen a player like James before. His combination of power, strength and agility is surreal. Similar to James, the NBA still has yet to see a point guard like Johnson. What he did during the 80's and early 90's was prodigious. From his exceptional rookie performance in the NBA Finals to his stint with the Dream Team, Johnson is in an exclusive fraternity of NBA trailblazers.
Before there was a Bryant, there was a Jordan. Before there was a Johnson, there was a no one. And still no point guard has come close to having the same impact on the hardwood. Kobe is great, but his resume isn't better than Johnson's.

P.S. Although, I have Bryant edging out Lewis Alcindor, I thought I should mention my third place contestant. Just didn't seem right to rank my top two Lakers and not give you one more. Your welcome. You can thank me later for my sincere gratitude. 



1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Kobe Bryant is my favorite player to have ever graced the hardwood. I think he is the only player appropriately comparable to Michael Jordan. Additionally, Earvin Johnson was like no other. Lebron tried to run point guard a few games to mimic Johnson but it failed and the championship was won when he returned to small forward. Also, Magic is the only Laker to have won a championship and play all 5 positions on the court. O___O Kareem Abdul Jabbar was a BRUIN! Amazing. Finally, Earvin said Kobe is the best Laker ever. That is only because he was not allowed socially to continue to play. We know, Earv would have won 10 championships!!!

    ReplyDelete